Friday, November 7, 2008

Scarlett Pimpernel- Some Discussion Questions

Now that we have all had a chance to get into the book (I hope!), I'm going to go ahead and ask some questions (and of course post my opinions). So, if you haven't finished, you can be thinking about these initial questions as you read. And also you might want to avoid the blog until you do finish as our posts are bound to contain some spoilers. I guess it may seem kind of early, but I want to give us plenty of time to really hash it out! ;) After this first month if anyone feels like they missed out because we started discussion too early and they couldn't get into it, let me know. We'll have to fly by the seat of our pants here and see how it goes! J

Also, these are just some initial questions to get the discussion started. If it really starts going and I don't feel like we need any more prompting, I probably won't post more. Also, always feel free to pose questions of your own! The whole point is to broaden our horizons and pick up on others views. Let's get going!

Questions:

  1. At what point did you begin suspecting the true identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel? When were your suspicions confirmed?
  2. What do you think of Marguerite's motivations throughout the book? Was she justified in her actions? Why or Why not?

**If you have not finished the book please don't read beyond this point!!!***

So, I get to go first! How fun!

Because (as my mother pointed out—we've already been doing al little face-to-face discussion on the side J) I read too fast and skip over things sometimes, I didn't suspect that Percy was the Scarlet Pimpernel (hereafter referred to as the SP) until I realized that Percy hadn't been with Marguerite and her brother during his whole visit. And since I was still reading quickly, my suspicions were not confirmed solidly until I read that Sir Percy had been the only one in the dining room, asleep. Then I knew!!

Was Marguerite justified in betraying the SP to save her brother? I don't think so. As I told my mom, I think that once she knew what her brother was into she should have realized that he and the SP could take care of themselves. I was disappointed in her and I think that Percy took her back much too easily in the end. I think that she should have had to show more how willing she was to not only save her husband but to save others….I don't know…

And I'm a little confused on one thing. How did Percy know about her betraying him at the ball??

So with that said, Let's discuss!!

No comments: